Matt Gerber, Post-Doc
Matt is currently a Postdoctoral Scholar-Fellow working for the Department of Ophthalmology in close collaboration with the Mechatronics and Controls Laboratory. He has undergraduate degrees in Japanese, Visual Communication Design, and Mechanical Engineering from The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio and graduated from The Ohio State University with an MS in Mechanical Engineering in 2014. Graduating from the University of California, Los Angeles with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering in December 2019, his research includes mechatronics with a focus on surgical robotics.
- Winner of MAE poster competition with Industrial Advisory Board members [Poster Competition]
- Printable Habitats: Awarded runner up (4th prize) at NASA’s 3D printed habitats competition [Design Boom | UCLA MAE Newsfeed]
- UCLA Receives a NIH Grant for Intraocular Robotic Interventional Surgical System for Cataract Surgery Project [OCT News]
- PhD, University of California Los Angeles, Mechanical Engineering, 2019.
- MS, The Ohio State University, Mechanical Engineering, 2014.
- BS, The Ohio State University, Mechanical Engineering, 2013.
- BSD, The Ohio State University, Visual Communication Design, 2007.
- BA, The Ohio State University, Japanese, 2007.
- 2016–2019, Mechanical Engineering Design I/II (MAE162D/E), UCLA.
- 2013–2014, Engineering: Thermodynamics, The Ohio State University.
- 2012–2013, Engineering: Dynamics, The Ohio State University.
ORCID: 0000-0001-9187-4827 | Google Scholar
- I. Chehaibou, M.J. Gerber, Y.H. Lee, T.C. Tsao, J. Rosen, J.P. Hubschman, “Integrating Robotics into Ophthalmic Surgery,” YO Times, vol. 14, pp. 88-99, Apr 2019, Link.
- S.W. Prince, C. Kang, J. Simonelli, Y.H. Lee, M.J. Gerber, C. Lim, K. Chu, E.P. Dutson, and T.C. Tsao, “A Robotic System for Telementoring and Training in Laparoscopic Surgery,” The International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, (IF: 1.634), 2019.
- C.W. Chen, A.A. Francone, M.J. Gerber, Y.H. Lee, A. Govetto, T.C. Tsao, and J.P. Hubschman, “Semiautomated Optical Coherence Tomography-Guided Robotic Surgery for Porcine Lens Removal,” Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, (IF: 2.731), Accepted for Publication, DOI.
- M.J. Gerber and T.C. Tsao, “Twisting and Tilting Rotors for High-Efficiency, Thrust-Vectored Quadrotors,” Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, (IF:2.233), Dec 2018, 10(6): 061013, DOI.
- C.W. Chen, Y.H. Lee, M.J. Gerber, H. Chang, Y.C. Yang, A. Govetto, A.A. Francone, W.S. Grundfest, S. Soatto, J.P. Hubschman, and T.C. Tsao, “Intraocular Robotic Interventional Surgical System (IRISS): Semi-Automated OCT-Guided Cataract Removal,” International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery (IF: 1.613), 2018, DOI
- A. Govetto, K.V. Bhavsar, G. Virgili, M.J. Gerber, K.B. Freund, C.A. Curcio, C.F. Burgoyne, J-P. Hubschman, and D. Sarraf, “Tractional Abnormalities of the Central Foveal Bouquet in Epiretinal Membranes: Clinical Spectrum and Pathophysiological Perspectives,” American Journal of Ophthalmology (IF: 5.052), vol. 184, pp. 167–180, 2017. DOI
- J. Wilson, M.J. Gerber, S. Prince, C-W. Chen, S. Schwartz, J-P. Hubschman, and T-C. Tsao, “Intraocular Robotic Interventional Surgical System (IRISS): Mechanical Design and Master–Slave Manipulation,” The International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery (IF: 1.613), RCS-16-0156.R1, 2017. DOI
- K.K. Rangharajan, M.J. Gerber, and S. Prakash, “Effect of Microstructure Geometric Form on Surface Shear Stress,” Journal of Fluids Engineering (IF: 1.437), 139(1), 2016. DOI
- C.S. Smidts, C. Mutha, M. Rodríguez, and M.J. Gerber, “Software Testing with an Operational Profile: OP Definition,” ACM Computing Surveys (IF: 6.748), vol. 46(3), pp. 1–39, 2014. DOI
- M.J. Gerber, “A Numerical Study for Biomimetic Structures to Control Wall Shear Stress in Water,” ASME 2013 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition (H-Index: 18), San Diego, CA, pp. 1–8, Nov. 2013. DOI
- T.C. Tsao, C.W. Chen, Y.H. Lee, M.J. Gerber, and J.P. Hubschman, “Laser-assisted Surgical Alignment,” U.S. Patent (PCT/US2018/019760).
- T.C. Tsao, J.P. Hubschman, C.W. Chen, Y.H. Lee, M.J. Gerber, “System and Method for Automated Image-guided Robotic Intraocular Surgery,” U.S. Patent (PCT/US2019/032236).
M.J. Gerber and J.P. Hubschman, “Robotics in Vitreoretinal Surgeries,” in A. Jain (Ed.), Cutting-edge Vitreoretinal Surgery, Springer, Accepted for Publication (2019).
- M.J. Gerber, “The Effect of Anode Geometry on Power Output in Microbial Fuel Cells,” Master’s Thesis, The Ohio State University, Mechanical Engineering, 2014.